Sunday, May 04, 2008

Weekly Menu:Some Old, Some New


24 is the magic number in my home. That's the number of days left until summer vacation is here and my 27th yr. of teaching/speech therapy is over! I'm really looking forward to the summer. I may go visit Ellen, my sister, or my older sister who lives in the North Country (upstate N.Y.) We'll see. Meanwhile, I did my usual Sunday morning menu planning for the week. It has really saved us money by making a list and sticking to it. I don't have to "wonder" what to make for dinner at 4:00 p.m. when I'm too tired to think!

Here's the menu for this week:

Sunday: Warm Tuscan Bean Salad (recipe to follow)
Pizza (Tom Sawyer flour I've been bragging about)
Lettuce and Tomato Salad with balsamic dressing

Since we've eaten already, I'll tell ya...the crust was so good.

Monday: Taco Salad (with ground turkey)
Tuesday: Peanut Noodle Salad (previously posted under the label NOODLES)
Summer rolls with vegetables
Wednesday: Chicken Caesar Salad (recipe to follow)
Thursday: Grilled Chicken Breasts
Brown Rice Fritters (Found on Fresh Ginger's site)
Friday: Tofu something! Not sure yet!

I've borrowed some recipes from fellow bloggers and found some myself. I think you'll agree that having a community to share recipes and ideas with makes this whole gluten free life much richer! Let me know if you try any of these. I highly recommend the Tom Sawyer flour. Since it was the first time I tried the pizza crust recipe (on the website)I didn't roll it out enough so we had "sicilian" pizza. MMmmm!
Have a great week.

Warm Tuscan Bean Salad (compliments of Linda Arnold)
Light and Tasty Magazine, Nov. 2007

1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 small green pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tsp. olive oil
1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. salt (kosher)
1/2 tsp. pepper (fresh ground)
1 can (15 oz.) cannellini beans or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained

In a large nonstick skillet heat oil until warm. Add onions, green papper, and garlic and saute until tender. Stir in tomato and seasonings; cook 3-4 minutes longer. Add beans; cook and stir until heated through.

Caesar Salad dressing
Michael Chiarello, Food Network

2 eggs
2 T Dijon mustard
6-8 anchovy fillets, minced
2 T chopped garlic
4 T balsamic vinegar
3 t. fresh lemon juice
Worcestershire sauce
2 C olive oil
2 T warm water, if needed
1 C freshly grated Parmesan

Place the egg yolk, mustard, anchovies, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce into a salad bowl. Blend with whisk, then add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until it is fully incorporated. If the dressing gets too thick, add the warm water and then continue until all the oil is added. Add the cheese and continue to blend.(I use my Cuisinart because the white cup in the feeding tube has a small hole. I put the oil in the white cup and it allows it to be added slowly)
Yield: about 1 1/2 cups

3 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

So good to connect with you again. Your e-mail made my night. HUGS

Jyesika said...

Thanks for posting a comment on my blog, sorry it took so long to read it! As to my menu links for last week-
I highly recommend this Grilled Veggie Pizza, I always use Chebe pizza dough which turns out pretty well.
http://recipe.aol.com/recipe/grilled-veggie-pizza-alfredo/80103

Also, this Warm Chicken Salad of Alton Brown's (Good Eats) is a favorite...
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_25496,00.html

I added WAY too many spicy peppers into the Chicken Fajitas with Cruncy Lime Cabbage recipe... (an unwise addition as we both spent the night sobbing:) ) The lime cabbage was a bit bitter, so I added a couple teaspoons of sugar more than was called for. Still, very excellent despite my creative editions.
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/241618

But by far and beyond the best discovery of late has been this GF pie crust. http://www.gfzing.com/?p=78
I used to to make a Quiche crust and it was awesome. Tastes like REAL! Then last night I had a hankering for a deep dish pizza, and used it again and it was again wonderful. I didn't have enough required cornstarch so substituted potato starch and tapioca starch and it came out fine. The only issue I had was when I first made it, one of the sides caved in before I had filled it (I let it cook in 400 degree heat for 10 minutes before filling) But it was easily fixed.

The other recipes I listed on your sister's site were less than spectacular so I wont repeat them here.
-jyesika

a kelly said...

Variations of this bean salad are a staple in my GF diet.
First time visitor, like your blog!
alex