Sunday, November 04, 2007

It's a start!

Sunday evening...had a relaxing day cooking yummy gf foods. I tried Ellen's Roasted Chicken recipe with honey, pomegranate juice, oj. and more. It was delicious! I also made split pea soup, recommended and posted by Ellen of I Am Gluten Free. Thanks Ellen! I don't have a pressure cooker so I made it in a large pot. It simmered for hours and was also yummy!(Recipe below) Good news! Whole Foods brand, 365, has come out with some gf mixes. Pie crusts, chocolate chip cookies, bread and more. If you're in a hurry and don't have time to make one from scratch, try this. I love the smell of baking bread, don't you? It also states on the box that it is produced in a gluten free facility.
My 2 daughters and my husband are beginning to accept the fact that our house is a gluten free one. It's a process and they're very supportive so I don't anticipate much resistance. I love my new Circulon Infinite pots and the more I experiment and cook, the more they realize that eating gluten free food is just as satisfying as eating gluten filled foods.
Off to slice the bread to make a yummy gf sandwich for my daughter's lunch.
Take care,

Faye

Split Pea Soup with Herbes De Provence
from Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure by Lorna Sass
serves 4 - 6

1 tablespoon safflower or canola oil
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh garlic
2 cups coarsely chopped onion
1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano, and rosemary leaves (I had Herbes De Provence in my cupboard, so I used three teaspoons of it)
1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
1 large bay leaf
2 large carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 large celery ribs, diced
6 cups boiling water
2 cups dried green split peas, picked over and rinsed
.....
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
salt to taste

Heat the oil in the cooker. Cook the garlic over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, just until it begins to brown. Immediately add the onions and continue to cook, stirring frequently, for another minute. Stir in the basil, oregano, rosemary, fennel, and bay leaf. Add the carrots, celery, boiling water (stand back to avoid sputtering oil), and split peas.

Lock the lid in place. Over high heat, bring to high pressure. Lower the heat just enough to maintain high pressure and cook for 6 minutes (I cooked it for 15 minutes, as that is what I found works best). For a hearty texture, quick-release the pressure by setting the pot under cold running water. For a smoother texture, allow the pressure to come down naturally. Remove the lid, tilting it away from you to allow any excess steam to escape.

Remove the bay leaf. Stir the soup as you add the parsley and salt to taste. This soup will thicken considerably on standing. Thin as needed with water or stock.

3 comments:

Krista said...

:) I read. I don't always comment, but I read! :D HI!!!!

The wedding looked BEAUTIFUL. sniff, i love weddings!

Debbie said...

This is the first time I've read your blog. I to have celiac and I found your site by other celiac blogs. I'm inspired by your site because it has more than just recipes, it's about the real life aspect of living with the gluten free diet.
I also went to a wedding this weekend and was extremely happy to see my co-worker, AKA the bride, had remembered and ordered me a GF meal. :)
Keep up the blogging!!!

Faye said...

Dear Krista and Debbie,

Thank you for "commenting." I know that I am not a "writer" as some of our wonderful bloggers are. I just hope that I can put a smile on your face, even for a moment! Take care..p.s. I made Pumpkin Cornmeal muffins from Karina, the Gluten free goddess and will blog about them tomorrow. They are amazing!!