Thursday, August 09, 2007

Nothingness and more!

Good morning. It's been a while since I posted. I've been visiting sisters, and enjoying every moment. Last Tuesday, I returned from the Syracuse area. My sister has a "Travel Model," a sort of permenant RV home at Brennan Beach. It's located near Oswego and Syracuse, on Lake Ontario. We spent 7 days doing a lot of "nothing." How wonderful! For 9 months of the year I am on a continuous treadmill, teaching Developmentally Delayed pre-schoolers. We sat and chatted, ate delicious meals SLOWLY, laughed and enjoyed one another's company. When my sister apologized for a week of "nothingness" I thanked her for it.

We went out for dinner to a real "hole in the wall" place for chicken wings. I took a chance and ate the wings, praying that I wouldn't regret my decision. When I finally had access to a computer I looked up the wing sauce to see if it was gluten free. They were soooo good and I hoped they were. Whew! Franks Original Hot Sauce is gluten free. Melt a few sticks of butter (oy), add some chopped garlic, add hot sauce to taste (be careful, I like them mild so I used less), grill wings, and enjoy! They were so good that we made them two more times during the week.

Today. I'm on an imposed fast! Well, not really imposed! I went to a new gastroenterologist in Boynton Beach. I discovered him at the Palm Beach Celiac Support Group meeting I attended. He specializes in Celiac Disease and it was time. Time for well, you know. It's been 6 years since my last colonoscopy and endoscopy. For today I'll be drinking clear liquids and eating jello. Actually, I am sort of excited to find out the "status" of my intestines. I've been fully gluten free since January so I'm anxious to see if I've reaped the rewards.

I've been cooking some interesting dishes in the past few weeks. Eggplant! Parmesan, NOT! At least not like I remember. Try this....

Stuffed Eggplant

Eggplant
Onion
Garlic
Grated parmesan cheese
Dried basil and oregano
Salt and Pepper
Ground sirloin or turkey
Green pepper
Marinara sauce, if desired

Cut an eggplant in half lengthwise. Do Not Peel! Scoop out the insides and chop. Saute onion, garlic, green pepper and the chopped eggplant. I added ground sirloin also but for those who prefer otherwise, use ground turkey or just omit. Add lots of italian seasoning (basil and oregano), grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. When cooked, put back into the cavity of the eggplant. Bake 45 minutes on 350, add slice of mozzarella to top and put back in oven for another 10 minutes. I put some marinara sauce on the side. Deliciouso!

Enjoy!

I have 5 more days of summer vacation left. It has been a glorious summer for me. Except for Florida's heat and humidity I accomplished a lot. I cleaned out my entire pantry and separated my gluten free foods. I put all flours in containers and labeled them. My sister Ellen, of I Am Gluten Free, showed me how easy baking is when your ingredients are conveniently organized. I have two pantries, a walk in and a closet pantry. Putting my gf food in the closet pantry was empowering. Thank you Ellen.

Starting Tuesday I'll prepare my classroom for 10-15 three to five year old preschoolers. It is my 27th year as a Speech Pathologist and I still love what I do. How many people can say that?

Well, gotta go make some yummy jello, hot tea or whatever clear liquids I can find! Wish me luck!

Fondly,

Faye

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Faye......I live in Coral Springs, too, and have been recently diagnosed ("sort of" - long story) with Celiac Disease.

Perhaps we could talk????

Leslie
opti4200@aol.com

Lynn Barry said...

I grew up in Syracuse, and lived many years in the areas you mention. Glad you got to get away and have some fun. HUGS

Lisa said...

Lake Ontario...wow, brings back memories. Use to go to Lake Catherine in Canada (just over the Peace Bridge in Buffalo) for summer vacation. Glad you had a great time!

Also glad you got to see the new doctor....

Erin S. said...

That stuffed eggplant sounds wonderful. I will have to try it.

Sharon said...

Faye,
I live in Delray Beach and I just went to Dr. Bromer also... Perhaps I will see you at the Outback Restaurant in Oct. with the Palm Beach Celiac Group...
SharonDelray@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

I just found your site tonight as I have been searching on Weight Watcher's and gluten free. I love your site. I live just a little northwest of Syracuse. Brennan's Beach is awesome and I just discovered it this summer and bought a used trailer there in the middle of September.

Thanks,
Dee