Saturday, July 21, 2007

Lentil Soup in the summertime!




I've been attempting to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into my daily diet. It takes quite a lot of thought unless.....when life gives you lentils, you make lentil soup.

I know it has been brutally hot outside (above 90 every day + humidity)and the thought of soup may not appeal to everyone. Too lazy to run to the food market, I perused my pantry. A bag of lentils, a trip to google.com, and a recipe where I had all but one ingredient on hand. Not too bad, eh?
Whatever the season, soup seems to warm the soul. The lentil soup cooked for a few hours instead of the 1 hour they suggested. I needed to get the spinach, the only ingredient missing for the soup. If you print the recipe, please add: a few tablespoons of VOGUE CUISINE powdered vegetable bouillon. I guess you could use vegetable stock instead but that was an afterthough.Suffice it to say, the lentil soup was delicious. Today, I had some and added another great find to make it scrumptious....The Gluten Free Pantry came out with olive oil and garlic croutons....crunchy and yummy.

I know that quick and easy recipes are the key, especially when we want to add veggies...this recipe includes carrots, celery, tomatoes, and spinach! Enjoy!\

Lentil Soup (allrecipes.com by Marie)

Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
1/4 cup olive oil
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 (14.5 oz.)can crushed tomatoes (I USED DICED)
2 cups dry lentils
8 cups water
1/2 cup spinach, rinsed and thinly sliced
2 tablespoons vinegar (I USED WHITE)
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste

In a large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, and celery; cook and stir until onion is tender. Stir in garlic, bay leaf, oregano, and basil. Cook for two minutes.
Stir in lentils, and add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for at least 1 hour. When ready to serve, stir in spinach, and cook until it wilts. Stir in vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper, and more vinegar if desired.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Sound yummy! Will give it a try!

Faye said...

Lisa,

It was so good the next day...and the croutons were amazing...when I made caesar salad for my sister and her husband (another sister)I just put theirs and my croutons on the side. Great caesar salad dressing too. Let me know if you want the recipe! Feel good!

Ellen said...

Hi Sis,

I hope you'll participate in this meme. If you're not sure what it is, go to this page at my blog and read about it.

http://iamglutenfree.blogspot.com/2007/07/have-i-told-you-lately.html

Hope all is well in upstate NY!
love, me

kbabe1968 said...

HI!!! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I'd love to link to you (I'll add you to my blog list on mine). I'm going over to visit your sisters blog too! I love finding others who cook with the same bent, makes variety easier! So glad you visited, I plan to visit you often too - looks yummy.

Rodrigo said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada. Thanks for the attention, bye). Até mais.

Anonymous said...

A SUPPORTED BY THE DEVELOPER TOOLS? It was interesting. You seem very knowledgeable in ypour field.