Sunday, May 13, 2007

Muffins, muffins, muffins!


Good morning and Happy Mother's Day to all! Had a good week...a Mother's Day breakfast for my school kid's mothers....I made regular zucchini bread and strawberry muffins...yummy! As for me, I used Pamela's Ultimate Baking and Pancake Mix. I followed the recipe on the back for the muffins and added fresh strawberries. It couldn't have been easier and took no time at all.

Last night I had "gourmet night." Every 6-8 weeks we have dinner with 4 other couples. The hostess made Chile-Seared Salmon with Sweet Pear Pineapple Salsa which was excellent. I was responsible for the starch and bread. I made Green Rice Pilaf, substituting vegetable broth for chicken broth. For the bread part I made Tex-Mex Quick Bread. I decided to adapt the recipe for myself so, while the gluten filled version was baking I took Pamela's Ultimate Bread Mix, followed the muffin recipe, (but omitted the vanilla because it was a savory, not sweet muffin) and made some gluten free tex-mex muffins!
Dessert was yummy also...I read the recipes thoroughly to see if I can eat them. I also question the cook to make sure it's safe for me.

My sister Ellen asked me if I worried about cross-contamination regarding other people's kitchens and utensils. No, I know these women well and know how clean their kitchens are. They also know the danger of my being "glutened" and wouldn't put me in the position of being "glutened."

I hope you'll try these recipes. They put a smile on my face and made it wonderful to be gluten-free and healthy. My best to you....

Adaptations: Strawberry Muffins

1 -1/4 cup Pamela's Mix
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup fresh strawberries, cut up
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup sugar (or 1/3 cup honey)

Sprinkle sugar over strawberries. Let sit for a few minutes. Then, add all other ingredients together and add to strawberry mixture. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Makes approximately 6 muffins. ENJOY!

Tex-Mex Muffins

1 -1/4 cup Pamela's Mix
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup coarsely chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
1/4 cup chopped black olives, drained
1/8-1/4 cup sugar

Mix all above ingredients well. In a separate bowl, add:
1/2 cup milk
1 can drained, chopped green chiles
1/4 cup olive oil
1 egg beaten

Mix wet ingredients with dry mixture. Bake in muffin tin for 20
minutes. ENJOY!

2 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

You sure have it down and goin' on and all that jazz...HUGS and LOVE

Lisa said...

Wow...these sound great...now maybe i can veganize it for myself - will let you know!