Monday, April 02, 2007

Chicken soup and matzo balls - OMGoodness!

OMG! I am in Passover heaven - two words that didn't really go together until about 15 minutes ago. You see, not eating "REAL" matzo balls can put you into depression mode, at least for me. Until now! I searched online for the perfect gluten free matzo ball, another phrase that doesn't sound like it should go together. Until now!

I made the chicken stock for the soup last night...froze it...this morning I scraped off the fat, added PACIFIC CHICKEN BROTH AND VOGUE chicken bouillon powder, some fresh dill, s and p to taste!

Then, after making REAL matzo balls for the rest of the family, I took a deep breath, prayed to the gluten free g-ds above, and began. As I searched online I eventually came to a recipe from the Gluten free pantry...

Gluten Free matzo balls

It says one serving but I got a lot of matzo balls...I edited a little also.

4 eggs
3 T chicken fat/margarine (I used butter)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. xantham gum
1 cup instant potato flakes
4 T chicken stock (I took it from the soup)

Beat the eggs and the fat (whichever you choose)
Mix potato flakes with xantham gum and salt
Add to egg and fat mixture
Add stock, mix well.
Chill for 20-30 minutes.

***At this point, I felt that the batter was not thick enough so I eyeballed about 1/2 cup more potato flakes. Use your judgement.

WET HANDS (A MUST), and form into balls.
I dropped mine into a pot of boiling water for 15-20 minutes COVERED.

It's always better when you let them sit in the soup for a while before eating. They take on the flavor of the soup.
Enjoy!

So, please try them, let me know what you think...I challenge you to tell me that they don't taste close to the REAL ones mom used to make. To me, they are the REAL ones now.

5 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

You are rockin' out the kitchen with your gluten free self! Ellen is happy, you are happy and so is you and Ellen's adopted sis Lynn.
Update...hubby is doing okay. He is still having trouble getting his tongue to cooperate at times while speaking but is patient. He is working and doing everything else he normally does, so hey...life is good.
I am very happy for you...giving up faves is hard, but especially when they also tie into strong spiritual beliefs. Good for you! HUGS

Anonymous said...

Dear Faye,

I'm so glad that you like my recipe for Gluten-Free Matzo balls. I went through the same routine you did yesterday-making enough g-f matzo balls so that my sister and I could enjoy the seder along with the rest of the family.

I have one tip to offer, however. Instead of using your hands, scoop out the mixture with an ice cream scoop. No fuss....no muss...no stick!

Happy Passover,
Beth Hillson
Founder, Gluten-Free Pantry

PS I made delicious matzo this year and published the recipe in our last newsletter at www.glutenfree.com

Enjoy!

Faye said...

Thanks Lynn. yes, we are having fun cooking...last night, Ellen's husband suggested that we start a new Food Network cooking show..The Two Celiac Sisters Cook or something like that. Not to infringe on the Two Celiac Sisters who have a blog together...no...but wouldn't it be fun to cook with my sister and share with the gf world! We share and compare every day and I love it!

Beth,
Thanks so much for your response. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be last night. I didn't think about eating the matzo or the gefilte fish (it has matzo meal in it) for a second. It was a calming feeling to know that I got over the hump!
Happy Passover....yours truly...
Faye

Mike Eberhart said...

It must be matzo ball time... I just read another GF recipe for those a few minutes ago. Once again, sounds like a wonderful treat!

Anonymous said...

I found a real good Gluten Free matzo ball mix.

I tryed it last week and it was really Good.... taste just like the real thing.

you can get it at eenakadeena.com.

I will be buying more soon