Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Bag it!

This past Saturday was Earth Day! Most people read about it, hear about it, and do nothing to honor it, right? I watched Diane Sawyer on 20/20 last Friday night. She talked about the massive amounts of plastic garbage bags filling up our garbage dumps. Do you recycle your plastic bags? We do. Every time they accumulate we take them back to Publix (our grocery store) and place them in the recyclable container. We are the minority, you can bet! But now, my family and I are going to part of a different minority...reusable grocery bags!

After I watched the show it made me think about what I could do and what I could teach my two teenage daughters to do about helping to save our Earth. Global warming is the new buzz phrase. Finding ways to reduce global warming in a selfish, self-centered society is going to be a challenge. Recently, former Vice President Al Gore won an Academy Award for An Inconvenient Truth, a film documentary exposing the truth about global warming. I think it awoke many of us to why we have to take responsibility for global warming. It is no longer a political issue, but a moral challenge for us all.

Back to the plastic garbage bags....The most logical place for me is to start with replacing those plastic garbage bags with reusable ones. This morning, I searched online for them for hours. I found enviro-this and enviro-that....expensive ones with fancy graphics or those made of recycled cotton. Then, there were the less expensive ones. All in all, there were choices for everyone. You can spend a lot or a little TODAY, or future generations will pay a lot later.

I called Whole Foods, who was out of them yesterday. They received a huge shipment today. I was excited, really excited. The adrenaline flowed as I anticipated walking into Whole Foods and "grabbing" them up. Whole Foods bags are green, made of a sturdy mesh-like material. When I asked the cashier how they hold up after repeated uses, he told me that people use them over and over again. Whew! Good answer! I bought 7 to start...a few in my husband's car and a few in mine.

Honestly, I am so excited to start doing my share to keep our Earth clean. I'd like to invite you to join me as I set an example for those around me. It's a feel-good kind of thing that anyone can do! Join me, please?

6 comments:

Ellen said...

Count me in. I've been trying to remember to bring my previously used plastic shopping bags to the market, but I will confess to not remembering most of the time. But with your lead, I bought two reusable sturdy bags at Whole Foods today for $1 each. I just emptied my groceries and put the bags back in my car for the next time I visit any supermarket (or any store for that matter). Thanks for the reminder that we all must do our part.

Sea said...

I really like the Whole Foods bags, and always take them to the farmer's market when I do my shopping...

Lisa said...

Yeah! I another convert! I have been using them for almost five years now. Whole foods is the best...Publix (here in SF) has them as well, but doesn't promote them. Too bad, that would be great advertising for them!

Keep up the good work!

Faye said...

Thanks Lisa. We have a Whole Foods on Atlantic Blvd. in Coral Springs...about a mile from my house. There is one in Plantation and Boca too. Is the Boca one the store you shop in? Thanks for your support!!

Lisa said...

I go to the new one (small than the Boca store) in Palm Beach Gardens, but if you don't go during the day forget it...its packed! I can't wait until "season" is officially over and we can get back to normal around here!

Lynn Barry said...

Good thing to do...if we all do our part it will make the difference. Good stuff. HUGS