Sunday, March 18, 2007

Stronger by the day!

Hooray! Each day I feel more and more confident and mostly convinced, that I can conquer this "Celiac thing." I went out to dinner last night and ordered a greek salad with grilled chicken. I explained to the waitress that the grill needed to be scrubbed carefully. I watched as she took careful notes as I spoke. She really showed me that meeting my dietary needs was important. They brought a yummy smelling basket of bread to our table. My husband and friends indulged and lemme tell ya....for the first time in a long time, it didn't faze me that I wasn't eating the oh so yummy looking, gluten infused bread. Only kidding..really, it was fine. And that made my day. I WAS FINE! Another hurdle...I feel like a track star jumping over hurdles...each hurdle that I jump over is successful experience. We went to the theater to see "25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee." It won a Tony Award in 2005. We have season tickets so we get to enjoy lots of great shows. If you get the chance to see it, it was light and funny as heck.

Today, I made a hodge-podge of things for dinner. We had friends over so my hubby barbequed chicken wings with a balsamic marinade that I concocted....I made the tofu recipe from Book of Yum, chicken sausage from a local deli (the woman assured me that there was nothing in the sausage that resembled gluten!...my peanut sesame noodles with Tinkyada spaghetti, the cauliflower recipe I found on someone's blog...(it'll come to me and i'll let you know who's blog)some steamed asparagus, and last but not least...the best part....salad...I was trying to make a ginger dressing that resembled that of any typical Japanese restaurant. And guess what? It worked. I loved it and hopefully, so did my family and friends. I'll share it with you so you too, can enjoy.I put my adaptations in parentheses. Have a wonderful week and may you be at peace.

from allrecipes.com
Famous Japanese Restaurant-Style Salad Dressing

Ingredients:
1/2 cup minced onion 4 teaspoons soy sauce (used gf tamari)
1/2 cup peanut oil (I used part sesame/part vegetable oil) 2 teaspoons white sugar
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons water 2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons minced celery (I didn't use) 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons ketchup

In a blender, combine the minced onion, peanut oil, rice vinegar, water, ginger, celery, ketchup, soy sauce, sugar,lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper. Blend on high speed for 30 seconds or until all of the ingredients are well-pureed.

I actually doubled the recipe because it sounded so good and I wanted to have it for lunches. I also used a food processor instead of a blender.

5 comments:

Lynn Barry said...

Good for you, Faye! I get a kick out of it when people ask me if it bothers me to not eat the bread in the basket and on and on...and ot doesn't. It did for a while, but not at all anymore. Feels good to feel good. HUGS

Faye said...

You are right Lynn. I think that the best strategy for me is to know that I can make equally good bread that is good for my health. The dressing that I made was such a pick me up since I don't have to buy the bottled stuff that is gluten free and is just ok. I've also recruited my non-celiac friends to help keep me compliant. Have a great Tuesday!

The Compassionate Celiac said...

Ok, I have to tell you that glutenous bread makes me nauseous now....once you start baking gluten free bread and then walk down the "bread" isle at the grocery store you will know what I mean...so let them eat bread and you will eat GLUTEN FREE BREAD!!!

Oh, loved the dressing recipe and will be trying it soon! Thanks for sharing!

Sea said...

Hey, you made my tofu recipe! Cool - I hope you liked it!

Best,
Sea

Sea said...

oh ya, I think the cauliflower recipe was probably Gluten Free By the Bay- she posted a great recipe the other day that I also want to try. :)

-Sea