Thursday, March 08, 2007

Meatloaf and other tidbits!

Happy Anniversary to me! Yes, this weekend is the second week that I have remained gluten free. Remember when your children were born (those who have them)? When they were born, we calculated their age by the day, then week, then month, then months, then years. Then, when you reach my age you want to go backwards! So you understand why baby steps are necessary in keeping track of my "gluten-free-ness." I made a few good, not just decent, meals this week. Last night, I made Carol Fenster's Meatloaf. It had brown sugar (what could be bad?), tomato sauce, chili powder, and more. I didn't have the Lea and Perrins Worchester Sauce but I didn't sweat it. I didn't think I'd miss it. Instead of rice crackers I used some ground up bread crumbs I had in the freezer. I put it into muffin tins for variety in presentation. My family laughed and shook their heads but, LOVED the flavor of the meatloaf, or meat muffins if you will! I made the Gluten Free Goddess' Polenta with Roasted Vegetables and Goat cheese...another yeah. The day before, it was Ellen's Szechuan Slaw and my concoction for marinated chicken. I punted ----marinated the chicken in gluten free tamari, sugar, rice wine vinegar and other stuff I forget. Well, when I asked my daughter Amy, if it belongs in the KEEPER file or the DON'T MAKE AGAIN file, she happily said the KEEPER file. I made the hamantashen on Monday, the day I played hookey from work. The ones with the strawberry preserves were lucious. Like vitamins, I allowed myself two a day. Speaking of allowing, I found CHEESE PUFFS at Whole Foods that are gluten free. Oy, I found love. Instead of eating slowly, like we're taught, I shoveled them in as fast as I could. I prayed that no one saw me. They come in curly or puffy - tough choice, so I tried both! I like the puffy ones more. I must go take my daughters to the doctor for the second round of the Gardisil shot. You know, that controversial vaccine to prevent the virus that causes cervical cancer. The naysayers are questioning whether after the series of three shots, the teens will become sexually active, thinking that it prevents STDs also.As parents, we need to make our own decisions about the health of our children. I'm not sure that the government should step in. As for me, I must do everything I can to keep my children healthy. I'd be remiss if I didn't give them the opportunity to prevent illness and disease. After all, I love them. They are my life! Be well and stay safe and happy.....

1 comment:

Lynn Barry said...

YEAH for Faye! Two weeks down...the rest of your life to go...It sounds like forever but forever feeling GREAT! Outstanding! Loved reading all about it. HUGS