Sunday, March 11, 2007

I fell off of the roller coaster and it wasn't intentional!

What a weekend I had...I've been eating home a lot more than before. We have more restaurants per square mile in Coral Springs, Florida, than we have residents. Most are common in every community in America...Outback, Roadhouse, Chili's, Macaroni Grill.. well, you get the idea. We used to eat out 2-3 times a week. Now, I take on a cooking challenge several times a week. Friday though, was an exception. I went to a Wing Restaurant...asked the owner if they were breaded, fried with just wings, even looked at the ingredients on the bottle of sauce. Salad too, with honey mustard dressing....no croutons....well, I went to CVS with my daugher for some things and barely made it before I had to use the restroom. I arrived home and the misery continued. Actually, on and off for 24 hours, I was reminded of the Wings and Salad. Where was I contaminated with gluten? I have no idea. All I know is that restaurant is off limits. It wasn't worth it. Last night we joined friends and went to the Grand Luxe Cafe, same owners as the Cheesecake Factory. I had the Vegetable Plate (four veggies) and rice. I had to send back the edamame because it had a teriyaki sauce on it. I was with wonderful friends who support my compliance so I was very comfortable asking a million questions. No unnecessary trips to the restroom so I was safe...whew!! After a long conversation with my sister we concluded that going to restaurants with gluten free menus is the better choice. As Ellen said, "They get it." Period. They get it. Not the guy from Wings Plus...for me, it was Wings Plus for 24 hours.

I was able to walk in the American Heart Association's 5K Heartwalk with 10 of my Student Council Representatives (4th/5th grade) on Saturday morning. What a positive experience, to see kids giving back.

This morning, I made my third Breads by Anna bread mix in my Breadman Pro. The first two experiences resulted in uncooked loaves. Disappointed but I did not give up. This time I used the BASIC cycle, not the GLUTEN FREE cycle. The bread came out perfect. Slapped on some Earth Balance spread and was in heaven.

Tonight, my friend asked me to go to a greek restaurant that I absolutely love. I just wasn't in the mood to start with the questions and doubts that I could get through the meal without getting sick. I made White Vegetable Lasagna... no recipe, just off the top of my head. Turns out, the family loved it. I'll write a short version so you can get the basic idea...and by the way, it's not low calorie but that's not my priority today.
Here goes:
Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta Lasagna Noodles
Broccoli, red pepper, asparagus, zucchini
Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded Parmesan Cheese
One stick butter, whipping cream, milk
Flour

Boil the lasagna noodles
Saute the veggies with fresh minced garlic in frying pan
Melt one stick of butter in a small saucepan, add flour to make a roux (I grabbed the Bob's Red mill baking flour mix)Add whipping cream or milk, or both, a handful of shredded parmesan cheese and stir until thickened.I added salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
In a 9 x 13 pan put white sauce to cover the bottom, a layer of noodles, a layer of veggies, shredded mozzarella, white sauce, noodles, veggies, mozzarella, etc. End with mozzarella.

Sometimes we have to follow a recipe, sometimes we have to follow our gut, and all the time we have to follow our hearts. This weekend, my heart told me that it's safer for me to eat at home, even if I just "wing it." I wish you all a peaceful week.

7 comments:

Gluten Free Suzi said...

It is so frustrating when you go to all that effort to check your meal, and it is still contaminated!

Your lasagna sounds delicious. I rarely make lasagna but it is certainly something I enjoy. I will try your recipe.

Ellen said...

This recipe sounds yummy. And obviously much safer than the wings! You've been doing great on your own, eating home more. So, good for you. I've had faith in you all along, you just had to come to the decision on your own terms. The cool thing is that you are now taking advantage of your passion for cooking AND you're willing to decline invitations for going out to eat. It's not the end of the world AND if it means that you entertain more at home, what the heck. Your friends will benefit from it, considering what a fantastic cook you are! And you'll see, after awhile, the annoyance of explaining it to yet one more waitstaff person becomes too frustrating to make it worth it. That doesn't mean you'll never go out to a restaurant, it just means you'll pick and choose where you go in order to be safe. And in the meanwhile, you're honing your cooking skills! And more importantly, you're doing what is safe and healthy for you!

Dianne said...

This is a nice blog! A lady after my own heart, I dont eat out anywhere near as often as I did, in my days before GF!

:)

Gluten FreeVegan said...

Welcome to the world of blogging! Glad you joined us! Its a challeng, but well worth it in the long run because we will be healthier than any other "diseased" person on the planet!

Thanks for visiting my site and letting me know about your "kitchen".

Oh, and I love Ellen's blog too ;0)

Allie said...

Hi Faye!

I got your message on my page... As for the bread - I used the GF cycle on the Pamela's bread mix - but I realized I didn't use room temp ingredients (eggs). Then I tried Bob's Red Mill mix - and it came out much better- but I don't love the taste - so I'm going to try Pamela's again, AND I got a new recipe I'm going to try -- I'll keep you posted! '

Also - welcome to the GF blogging community! Ellen is wonderful! We've been trying to get together some local bloggers... I'm in the process of switching from Blogger to Wordpress - so I'll keep you posted on the new link.

Good luck with the diet!
Allie

Lynn Barry said...

You the bomb, girl! GOOD GOING! HUGS and LOVE

MotherLode said...

LOL, you've probably figured it out now...many GF cycles on bread machine are virtually the same as the "quick" bread cycle. Lots of mixing, no rise time!

Try this ~ use the "dough cycle" for mixing and rising; then "bake." Takes about 2.5 hours, and won't include the re-kneadings are risings of "basic" cycle. The results are much better!

ML