Wednesday, March 14, 2007

"I don't care"

Three words I hate to hear every day...."what do you want for dinner?" or "where should we go for dinner?" "I DON'T CARE," they all reply. Actually, I haven't asked the latter question in a while since we eat home much more than before. I think that when I retire from education I will open up a restaurant called, "I DON'T CARE!" It seems to be a good catch phrase.

I am trying to be as creative as I can while I IMPOSE my gluten free lifestyle on my family. So far, so good...haven't had any complaints. For tonite, my husband defrosted boneless chicken breast. Shall I do italian, asian, thai, french? French? That sounds good...how about Chicken Francese..wait, that's not French, that's Italian. But, I do have all of the ingredients on hand...the chicken, lemon, capers, garlic, and olive oil...boil up some Tinyada pasta of sorts and VOILA! "I DON'T CARE" has taken on a new name. Chicken Francese!

I try to keep a lot of common basic ingredients on hand for days like this. But alas, to make a long story short....won't you help? Send me a list of your most common basic ingredients that you keep on hand for "I DON'T CARE" kind of days. I'll compile the list and include it in another post. Meanwhile, I'll shoot from the hip, no measurements, just experiment.

I'm excited because I ordered the Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 so I can start editing and adding pictures to my blog. Have a wonderful day....remember, "I CARE"

10 comments:

~M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
~M said...

Pantry items (non-perishable). I try to buy lots of these items when they go on sale:
-dried fruit
-wild rice
-brown rice
-Tinkyada pasta
-nuts
-beans: Great Northern (white), black, and garbanzo are my favorites
-canned Muir Glen tomatoes
-canned chilis
-dried herbs and spices

Fresh items to incorporate:
-chicken
-steak
-vegetables to be stir fried, sauteed, or roasted: peppers, onions, grape tomatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, broccoli, etc.

Make soups, crock pot meals, stews, grill or use a George Foreman. Mix and match!

I *strongly* suggest making dinner and weekend lunch and dinner menus. If you get them done a week in advance, you can shop for what's in season and/or on sale, get family approval/satisfaction, incorporate the queue of recipes that you want to make, use what's left-over in the fridge or pantry, and know what to buy in the store.

Gluten FreeVegan said...

This is easy...being Vegan I always have veggies and fruit on hand as well as fixings for Black Beans & Rice. I would say my staples are:

Black Beans
Jasmine Rice
Salsa
Green Mountain Gringo Tortilla Strips
Pace Organic Salsa
Garlic
Peppers (red, green or orange)
Onions (sweet vadilla)
Potatoes
Tinkyada Pasta
Bertelli Pasta Sauce

Oh and i can't forget my every day, walk outside and pick it staples:

Oranges
Grapefruit
Avacado
Limes
Rosemary
Basil
Thyme

Then there is the "hurricane food" which is a whole other thing because I don't care for canned fruits and veggies unless I thnk I might starve to death...

Good luck with your list...can't wait to see it when its done!

Lynn Barry said...

First time my hubby asked me out he said, "You want to go out tonight" and I said, "I don't care," then he said, "Well, if you don't care then forget it." It has always been a joke between us.
I loved reading this entry. HUGS

Sea said...

Hey there! Your question is a great one- really made me think.

Let me see... for "I don't care" days...

Pasta (Tinkyada or Trader Joes)
Rice (sushi style, basmati, jasmine, arborio)
Mrs. Leepers tuna noodle casserole
thai kitchen garlic or onion noodles
homemade GF bread, sliced & frozen-
Kinnikinick white bagels
GF mac n' cheese
Indian GF pouch meals
Amy's Rice Crust Pizza
other amy's meals

Classico Spaghetti Sauce
Amy's GF tomato soup
canned tuna
mayonnaise
tofu
Cheese
eggs
Gardenburger GF veggieburgers
Gardenburger veggie breakfast patty

fresh spinach
fresh & canned tomatoes
fresh onion
fresh garlic
potatoes
fresh broccoli

How's that for a start? ;)
-Sea

Meesh said...

Stumbled upon your blog, and I think it is great. Kudos to Lynn Barry for the link. I am also a Celiac, and these are the essentials that I have in my pantry.

Tinkyada pasta
cottage cheese
brown rice
chicken stock
veggies (especially carrots, celery and onions)
tomatoes
chicken (frozen, cooked, and chopped)
olives
artichokes
feta

I can whip up a lasagna, pasta, chicken meal, or risotto in a flash.


don't worry, it will get easier. the other thing that I have noticed is that my family does not care what I make, as long as there is food on the table!!!!

Kinickinik makes a great "Shake and Bake" that is great too. Come visit me on my blog!

Magnolia said...

Good words.

Anonymous said...

This message, is matchless))), very much it is pleasant to me :)

Anonymous said...

Explore starting treatment developed specially for ringing in ears patients, for example Ringing in ears Retraining Treatment. This kind of treatment trains individuals suffering from ringing in the ears in techniques that assist them concentration their energy about the task at your fingertips, and far from their ringing in ears signs or symptoms. This type of therapy, which studies show being more efficient than typical therapies for treating tinnitus, will help sufferers gain back a feeling of control of their situation. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]T22wyuul[/url]

Anonymous said...

Right after about nine weeks, question your members to re-confirm their wishes to obtain e-mail by you. Preservation may be challenging, but all those on the subscriber list will take pleasure in you asking, and you will be unlikely to unsubscribe. The re-verification approach will likely tell you which readers are faithful to you. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Foli342334o[/url]