Friday, March 23, 2007

Carrot/Sweet Potato Soup and more ramblings!

TGIF! That just isn't enough to say how I feel. We start our Spring Break next Friday. I'll hang out for the week, experiment with recipes, and relax. Cannot wait for next Friday at 3:00 p.m! Meanwhile, last night I had a crappy experience. I was with some women playing mah jong, a tile game, handed down for generations by Jewish mothers, I mean, Chinese people. While playing, I was boasting about how excited I was that we were invited to a friend's house tomorrow night...and that I offered to bring food that I could eat. For example, I am making my own barbeque sauce for the ribs AND a flourless chocolate cake. The rest of the menu is fine....when I talked about how proud of myself I was, one of my so-called friends replied, "Well, you comply when you want," or something like that, implying that I go on and off regarding compliance.

Okay, I know that I have jumped on and off the gluten free wagon for the past three years. But, do you think she could've been supportive and said something encouraging? My mood quickly changed and I realized that we are our own community...we share because we know one another's "pain." Pain might be a drastic word but darn, (not what I want to say) was I pissed off. So much for empathy...

With that said, I'll continue to rely on my new celiac community to help me, encourage me, and give me kudos for staying compliant. Speaking of compliance, I made a yummy soup today when I got home from work. I finally got the Adobe Element Printshop program from Amazon.com so I will install tomorrow and post the picture of the soup and the recipe.

Ya know, I just wanted to vent about the lack of empathy and understanding that people have when they are unfeeling. She hurt me and I'm sad. As if God knew I was hurting....a friend called me to go out for dinner tonight. When I replied, "I hear you are going to Pizza Time," a local Italian restaurant, she said, "Yes, but if you want to go together we can go to Carrabbas!" Now, that's a friend. Well, off to Carrabbas...much love to my celiac family.....

5 comments:

Ellen said...

Hard to hear, even if there is a ring of truth to it. Not her place to say it. But your other friend made up for it!!! We do need the support of our friends AND we don't need them to say hurtful things like that. Glad things turned around sis.

Anonymous said...

I personally haven't run into trouble with friends, and I've always been very strict and everyone knows it. But, if a [so-called] friend were ever to say something along the lines of "you comply when it suits you," I would definitely set them straight. I would explain to them that my doctor reminded me of the havoc gluten can wreak on my system (and even emotional health) and that I need friends who will be supportive and helpful in my quest to improve my health.

The Compassionate Celiac said...

A bit tacky on her part wouldn't you say? One thing I learned this past year is that some get it and some don't. I even have family I have to REMIND when then offer me cake! UGH!

So move along and be greatful for the friends and family who understand and support you. I'm glad I did.

Faye said...

Thank you all for your comments. I contemplated emailing her to voice my disappointment, just because she might learn from the experience. I'll think some more....Meanwhile, it strenghened me to be even more compliant when around her AND it made me realize that she may not be a good friend after all.

Lynn Barry said...

Do they just not get it? I get that sometimes too. Like, come on...what's the big deal? And I get the "oh what are you into and not into now" and laughter follows. It bothered me bigtime for a long time and then I made up my mind that I do what I do for me and screw them...sounds harsh but it helps. HUGS